Sunday, May 15, 2016

The laziest of bats

There are those in this world who will say I'm not really goth for this-reason and that-reason. That's fine, one of the biggest problems in the goth community are the elitist gatekeepers. Well you know what, fuck 'em, they're no fun anyway.

Yeah sure, there are things I like that aren't "goth". My apartment doesn't look like a funeral parlor. I don't always wear all black. Most of my clothes come from Target, H&M, or *gasp* Hot Topic.

But why should any of those things take away from my goth-ness? Don't I still love the macabe, black lipstick, and Siouxsie Sioux?

My whole life I've had an affinity for the "strange and unusual". I remember being absolutely in love with gruesome Halloween decorations as a little girl (thankfully I turned this into an interest in forensics instead of being a serial killer). My childhood heroes were Teen Titan's Raven and Danny Phantom's Sam Manson and of course, Wednesday Addams. Being the dumb small child I was, I didn't even realize I was weird until like, middle school.

I went through the phases I though would make me cool. Emo, scene, back to emo, punk (I don't know if I regret this phase thiugh), and oddly, hipster. But it wasn't until college that I found something that felt like me. And that thing is goth.

I have to say I have an utmost respect and awe for the dark artistry that is trad goth. But fuck, I'm way too lazy for that so half the time I end up looking like an extra from American Horror Story Coven. I'm just glad that this style has kind of become popular, or else I'd stick out like a sore thumb at my local goth club amongst people who are cooler and more stylish than I am.

But when it comes down to it, I'm still sitting at home in a Joy Division t-shirt, drinking black coffee, while research absinthe as the Cure plays. See, sometimes I can be a stereotype.

I'm just hoping my fellow goths can accept that my laziness. I still love bats and Baulderlaire, even if I can't be bothered to do my make up 90% of the time.

It's all about the music and the mindset anyway right?

No comments:

Post a Comment